March 2nd-8th, 2014
The goal of this trip is to raise awareness of various issues regarding women which are present in Minnesota. The participants will be working with Breaking Free while staying in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for the week. Breaking Free is a social justice organization that helps women and girls escape systems of prostitution and sexual exploitation. The organization will allow the participants to learn about the people they work with, the issues they face, and the goals of the organization.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $325.
- Travel: Participants travels from campus to the Minneapolis area in a minibus. The minibus will also be used to get to and from work each day. The driving takes about two hours.
- Lodging: The group will stay at the WomanWell, a women's spirituality center in St. Paul. Participants will sleep in single occupancy rooms with linens provided. Includes access to showers and use of the kitchen.
- Food: Meals are purchased and prepared by the group following the SNAP Challenge.
- Work: The group will work with Breaking Free. This organization serves women and girls who have been the victims of abuse, exploitation, and sex trafficking. Trip participants will be educated on these issues and participate in an outreach program in order to spread that knowledge to the surrounding community. Warning: you will hear personal stories of abuse, exploitation, and sex trafficking on this trip. Past participants have found this trip to be emotionally challenging. You should be prepared for this experience.
- Dress: Participants are encouraged to dress conservatively.
- Focus: Social Justice, Human Trafficking, Domestic Abuse, Chemical Dependency.
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at email@example.com