Habitat for Humanity
"The Stroud, OK Habitat for Humanity trip was one of the best experiences I have had during Spring Break. The community literally opens their arms, homes, and hearts to you. I will not forget the hospitality I was shown and people I have met on this trip."
Habitat for Humanity
Spend the week in Stroud, Oklahoma living among a wonderful, welcoming and close-knit community while volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. Opportunities include building homes, painting, getting the chance to experience the incredible hospitality that their community has to offer, as well as seeing some of the sights around Oklahoma
Stroud Habitat for Humanity, Inc. is a locally run affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing organization. Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with people in need to build and renovate decent, affordable housing. The houses then are sold to those in need at no profit and with no interest charged.
Volunteers provide most of the labor, and individual and corporate donors provide money and materials to build Habitat houses. Partner families themselves invest hundreds of hours of labor - "sweat equity" - into building their homes and the homes of others. Their mortgage payments go into a revolving Fund for Humanity that is used to build more houses.
During the week, participants will be helping build one of these homes for a resident family of Stroud, working with community members on the job.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $325.
- Travel: The group travels from campus to Stroud by van. The driving takes one day.
- Lodging: The group will stay at a schoolhouse in Stroud.
- Food: The group will be eating most meals with the community members of Stroud.
- Work: The group will help build a house, doing manual labor including construction and painting.
- Extra Fun: The group has the opportunity to meet, work with, and socialize with the community members of Stroud. Also, the group has the opportunity to visit local landmarks around Stroud and other places such as the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial and the Oklahoma City Zoo. The group will be emeresed into the Stroud community with open arms.
- Focus: Community, Hands on work, physical labor
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Points of Interest:
- Physical labor
From Past Participants:
"Small town Stroud taught me a lot about the value of community with others far away."
"This trip was definitely one of the best weeks of my life. I hope everyone can experience a service trip because of the many lessons learned and also the fun that was had."