Center for Student Missions
March 1st-9th, 2013
"At Center for Student Missions, we were able to get to know the people of Philadelphia and learn about the city. Whether we were exploring the historical sites or talking to the homeless in Love Park, every experience was a new opportunity to learn. This trip opened my eyes to new things each day and constantly reminded me that behind every statistic is a human being that deserves love and an equal opportunity to succeed" ~ 2013 Participant
Center For Student Missions- Philadelphia, PA
Spend the week living in West Philadelphia, exploring the city, going to a variety of work sites, and learning about the people of Philadelphia. The focus of this trip is homelessness, but participants are also given opportunities at a host of different sites; from working at an after school center for kids, helping out at a home for people with disabilities, and cleaning up a neighborhood block in West Philadelphia. This trip integrates service with making personal connections, especially with the homeless of Philadelphia, as well as learning about Philadelphia life, culture, and history. The week begins with a Prayer Tour of Philadelphia where students learn about the different neighborhoods and some of Philadelphia's problems, as well as some of Philadelphia's wonders and successes. Each day is spent at a different work site, the evenings at an after school center, for dinner, different ethic restaurants that represent some of Philadelphia's many vibrant cultures, and at night, many learning opportunities which include going to Love Park in downtown Philadelphia and talking one on one with some of the homeless.
What to Expect
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $325.
- Travel: The group travels from campus to Philadelphia by van. The driving takes 2 days.
- Lodging: The group stays at the Center for Student Missions headquarters in West Philly in bunk beds.
- Food: Breakfast is cereal, lunch usually is sandwiches, chips, and a drink, and each night for dinner the group gets to experience a different ethnic restaurant around Philadelphia.
- Work: The group works at a variety of external sites throughout the week which may include: Philabundance Food Bank: sorting and organizing food donations, Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission: preparing, serving, and eating lunch with the homeless, Hands of Hope: handing out bag lunches to the homeless in downtown Philly as well as getting the opportunity to talk with the homeless, and many other sites and opportunities.
- Extra Fun!: The group gets the opportunity to explore downtown Philadelphia, take a tour of the city, and visit many of the historical sites of Philadelphia.
Focus: Homelessness, poverty
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at email@example.com
Special Points of Interest
- Urban Experience
From Past Participants
"ABE: Philadelphia was an unforgettable experience. Not only does it show you a whole new side to the city of Philadelphia, it shows you a whole new perspective on people. It will alter your way of thinking on a lot of important issues." - 2013 Participant