The Biology Department at CSB/SJU provides students with a wide range of opportunities for gaining an understanding and appreciation of living systems. Its faculty's dedication to the teaching and mentoring of students means that small class sizes and hands-on learning are the norm in both introductory and advanced Biology classes. Students can take advantage of an array of modern laboratory equipment and unparalleled field resources, with forests, lakes and prairies all right on campus.
Overview of Program
- With more than 20 full-time faculty and staff, the Biology Department is one of the largest academic programs at CSB/SJU. Find out more about our faculty.
- The SJU campus, where the Biology Department is located, is surrounded by 2700 acres of prairie, oak savanna, wetlands and forest, as well as several lakes. Our labs feature equipment for electron microscopy, DNA sequencing, electrophoresis and other equipment, for use in both class and independent research. Find out more about research opportunities in biology at CSB/SJU.
- Students can choose from a broad selection of courses, from Molecular Biology to Aquatic Ecology, from Virology to Invertebrate Paleontology. Find out more about the Biology major.
- While Biology majors must fulfill a rigorous course of study, students still find the time to participate in semester-long study abroad programs. Find out more about Study Abroad opportunities at CSB/SJU.
- Graduates of the Biology Department go on to work in education, health care, environmental biology and a wide variety of unique career choices. Many continue their education in graduate school. Find out more about career opportunities in biology.
- The two colleges share more than 3,300 acres of natural research space.
- Small classes and labs give you plenty of faculty interaction throughout your degree program.
- Many opportunities for independent research are to be had during both the summer and the academic year.
- Summer research programs for undergraduates are available to CSB/SJU students.
Dr. William Lamberts
Chair, Biology Department
SJU PEngl 353
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John's University